April 28

1759


Mutiny on the Bounty: but I shall mark this as red, not amber, because I have already told the tale, the Captain Bligh story on 
September 29 of this blog, the Mutineers' story on my pages for Pitcairn Islands and especially Norfolk Island, both in TheWorldHourglass.




Amber pages



Harper Lee (Nelle Harper), novelist ("To Kill a Mockingbird"), born today in 1926. Will I be able to write about her, and not talk about Dill being based on Truman Capote? Will I be able to write about her and not rant until the froth requires cartooning on the page, about the disgraceful publication of that book she had rejected, and which quite clearly she did not feel was worthy of publication, the one I cannot even bring myself to name? No chance with either of these.


Several almanacs tell me that, today in 1945, 




                                    "Benito Mussolini, Italian dictator, shot" 

and I am taken by surprise, because my personal pubquiz bot, the part that gets minorly activated when University Challenge is on the television, is sure that he was necklaced to a lamp-post and left pendant there... or have the almanac writers jumped to a false assumption, seeing the word "assassinated" or "overthrown" or some-such... The full story can be read here; the video watched here. GER either way.

No comments:

Post a Comment